03 September 2010

Rest Day

Today is a rest day. No exercise to be done whatsoever.

To people who don't know the importance of rest, They come up and say things like " I know a guy who goes to the gym 7 days a week" or "Most runners run 6 days a week" well first of all I'm not them guys and second, most runners are over trained and chronically injured.

When you work out, you muscles get sore because of the build up of lactic acid. Resting is so important when your muscles are still sore 24 to 48 hours late. This is called Delayed onset muscle soreness (DOMS). DOMS is caused by rupturing the muscle when exercising and time is the best healing method. A runner using the same muscle from one day to the next is not giving the muscle time to heal and thus leading to an injury.

Sometimes, I do get the feeling of going out for a run on my day off. Perfect weather and location are just inviting me out there. But no, I ain't pushing that hard just to fall over.

I'm not a total religious type of guy for a saying that fits to this article. "Remember the lord made the world in six days, and on the seventh day he rested" So enjoy your rest.. put your feet up.

2 comments:

Hellie said...

Hope it was a good ole fashioned lazy day!
Besides in this weather, how can you run?

pmcd20 said...

I have being lucky up till now, weather was on my side. I know the weather be getting poor over the coming months so will just run on the tredmill.

Post a Comment