22 March 2011

New Bike: Giant Defy 4

If you were reading my last posts, you see how my metal frame bike just wasn't cutting the mustard. Even though it was a great bike, I said it was time for an upgrade.

I went onto boards.ie and stuck up a wanted notice for a Giant Defy. I got a good few responses and just over a week later I had my new bike.   I was still sick with the flu but with the stronger medicine the doctor provided  has helped me this week and I took the bike off for a spin.


The first day I knocked up 33km on it. It felt great, I was way faster. I also purchased new dhb clipless shoes from wiggle. They are taking a bit of getting used to.    The only thing sore from the first day was the pain the saddle gave me.  I didn't want to overdo it on the second ride out but I put in 55km.  I remember going downhill and looking at the speedometer saying 48kph but also  when faced with tough headwinds the clock was reading 15kph.  

After around 40km in my journey, I totally forgot I was on clipless pedals and being a bit disillusioned at that time, I went to take my foot of the pedal in the normal way only to fall flat to the ground. All I could do was laugh but fairly had some cuts and bruises down my right hand side.  I had ripped my new cycling shorts that I just got but still the worse pain was my behind.   Its just normal saddle pain and will get immune to it with a few more rides. 

I practised in changing a tire tube the last day. It was a job and a half. First time doing it so that was expected. Better to learn now then to be totally tired in the middle of nowhere and having a go.  In taking off the back wheel, it was expected to be a small bit more complicated but putting it back on was another job and a half even though once i get the knack to it, it will take less then a few seconds. 

Looking forward to entering it into the next race. The cycling distance is only 14km  but should be fun. need to get out and run as well.. Too much to do... so little time.

No comments:

Post a Comment